Thursday, September 25, 2008

Naming New Schools In The School Board Image

Griffin family wants school named for strawberry pioneer - St. Petersburg Times



On my other blogs, I have written many times about my perception that "the public school system" treats students and parents with an arrogant attitude. When ignorance is combined with this arrogance, students lose.

I am always challanged to demonstrate concrete examples of what I am talking about when I talk about "arrogance". I may not be able to take a picture of it, but I know what it is when I see it.

Within the above link, there is information about how the Hillsborough County School Board names new schools.

Maybe this is a concrete example of arrogance:

District policy dictates that schools be named for individuals "who have rendered outstanding service to public education, such as U.S. presidents, school board members, educators, and outstanding citizens." Schools can also be named for geographic locations, groups or clubs.


There are a lot of scientific studies that expose the significance of how one's perception and beliefs are directly influenced by the group they are in. Maybe it's just me, but how does a group of school board members overcome their belief that they "render outstanding service to public education"?

In this specific case, the person who is seeking to have this new school after them has the same surname as a school board member. It will be interesting to see how the current politics effect this vote.

No comments: